Monday, January 20, 2014

No Resolve for the New Year

I know it’s late for New Years, but I’m coming into a “New Year” of my life :P (And Chinese New Year is still coming up). But I’d like to share with you my thoughts about New Year’s Resolutions. I orginally wrote this on January 7, 2014. Enjoy! :D

If you'd like to know, I decided NOT to make any resolutions for the new year.

I find the tradition empty and easy to break. If it were more important, we would call the day "New Year's Resolution Day."

One reason why I think New Year's resolutions don't work is because the New Year is too little a reason to motivate you.

The New Year is like a canvas. It's pure. It's clean. It's a new slate. But you can toss it to the side. Put a cloth over it. Forget it.

What you need are paints, pencils, pens... Anything you can use to make that canvas come to life! Without them, the canvas is empty.

Last year, I decided to pick up the books in my home, put them in a list, and spend each night reading them one by one.

Last year, I decided to revive my blog and practice my writing. I've been using my cellphone to write new essays, and it even gets difficult navigating through the folders.

Last year, I decided to re-evaluate my friendships and spend more time with family. It doesn't make me very happy, but I'm enjoying the time I spend with my parents, my siblings, and those who are really close to me.

All of these could count as New Year's resolutions.

But I consider them "current projects." I don't see this as a one year thing. I see these as long-term investments.

Even if I fail to follow them for a day, I don't make the excuse of "I'll just have to wait next year to try again." I can just brush it off and try again tomorrow-- maybe even before then!

I'm not saying, "Don't change anything." I'm saying, "Put some backbone in what you're doing!"

Put some thought into what you're doing. Think about what you need to accomplish your goal. Accept when you fail. And hope for your eventual success.

A resolution is a firm decision. Make it so.